06 May Black Peppercorn Sweet Potato Cornbread
Try a unique take on cornbread with this recipe by Chef D’Ambria “Dee” Jacobs, owner of Sophisticated Delights Catering and winner of Food Network’s “Great Food Truck Race – Alaska.” Read more about Chef Dee’s culinary journey here.
- 6 tablespoons melted, plus 2 tablespoons butter for baking dish unsalted butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon of fresh cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of mashed fresh sweet potato
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large lightly beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Finish with a drizzle of honey & 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, sweet potato and butter.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold together until there are no dry spots (the batter will still be lumpy).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and tester inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.