09 Aug Vegan Blackberry Donut Recipe
Doux Vegan Donuts is one of many Black-owned “cottage kitchens,” which are becoming more and more popular as states ease restrictions on home cooks. Read about their journey to becoming a cottage kitchen and check out the recipe below for their vegan blackberry donut.
- 3/12 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup oat milk (or preferred plant-based milk)
- 6 tbsp water (lukewarm)
- 1 1/2 tsp of active dry yeast
- 6 cups canola oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups of blackberries
- 1 tsp of water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Combine dry ingredients – flour, sugar, and salt into one large bowl.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the active dry yeast over the water and set aside for five minutes as it activates.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over very low heat.
- Then, make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in melted butter, milk, and yeast mixture and stir until combined.
- Knead the dough in a mixer for 5 minutes, or by hand for 10 minutes until dough is firm and combined. Use additional flour if dough is too sticky.
- Shape dough into a smooth ball, then place in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, gently punch out any air bubbles. Separate dough into halves.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use doughnut cutter to cut the dough.
- Let the shaped doughnuts rise for about 45 minutes.
- Next, heat the oil in large pot to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently drop doughnuts into the pot, turning them over when golden brown.
- Remove from oil and let them drain on a cooling rack covered with paper towels.
- Then prepare the blackberry glaze. Blend blackberries and a teaspoon of water into a blender.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and add lemon juice. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Then, use a strainer to separate seeds from the blackberry sauce.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then add in powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- Finally, dip doughnuts into the glaze.